Churches of Malta - Sacred Heart of Jesus Church - Fontana
Fontana, locally referred to as Triq tal-Ghajn, took its name from a bountiful spring at the bottom of the road leading to Xlendi, known as L-Ghajn il-Kbira (the big spring).
This suburb of Victoria lies between Gozo's capital and Xlendi and people began to inhabit the area because of its fresh water spring. In the sixteenth century an arched shelter was built over the spring for the convenience of the villagers.
Most of the fishermen that operated from the village of Xlendi lived in Fontana and late in the nineteenth century they began collecting money to build a church. The foundation stone of the present church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus was laid on 29 January 1892. It was consecrated on 29 January 1905. Fontana was established a parish on 27 March 1911 during the bishopric of Giovanni Maria Camilleri. The spectacular village feast is celebrated each year around the 2nd and 3rd week of June.